We’ve all been there. Childless and having to buy a present for a baby or soon-to-be Mum. A friend asked me if I would put together a blog of gift ideas for those that don’t know what the heck to buy. I quote ‘I don’t have kids and I’m pretty committed to my life as a PANK (professional Aunty no kids)’. I’d never heard of that term before (feeling old and fuddy duddy here) but it cracked me up! So for all the PANKs, or those that aren’t even an aunty… this is for you.
1. I was going to start with a very blunt DO NOT BUY A SOFT TOY. But then thought about it and realised both my kids are currently asleep with their faces smooshed into ‘soft toys’. So I’ll go into more detail… don’t just buy a random soft toy that is just going to get added into the ‘don’t even play with’ pile and never get touched. INSTEAD: Buy something that could be a ‘comforter’ for the new baby (something to comfort them when they sleep). Marlo sleeps with a Jelly Cat Bunny and Brooklyn sleeps with one and also 2 Cuskis. Highly recommend either of these as a gift. Jelly Cats are around $40-$50 and can be found at various online stores including Mighty Ape, Cuski’s can be found at Sleep Store for $34.95.
2. If you’re going to buy a blanket/swaddle/wrap… make sure it’s big. At least 120x120cms. Burrow & Be has a cute range of muslin wraps this size and lots of gender neutral designs, so great if you don’t know if you’re buying for a boy or girl. These wraps retail for $38.50 on their website.
3. Baby Shusher. I’ve blogged about this here. It’s basically a little battery run speaker than makes a ‘sshhhhhhh’ sound and shhh’s the baby to sleep. I still use Marlo’s one now and she’s 7 months old. Best $55 I ever spent! Your friend might look at you weirdly when she un-wraps this, but she will love you for it when the baby is born! They’re $55.95 directly from Baby Shusher HERE.
4. Milestone Cards. These are used to lay beside the baby and take cute photos of when they’re 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 months, first sitting etc etc. It’s a cute way of keeping track of their milestones. We use Hello My Love ones for Marlo, they are $29.99 and you can buy them HERE. We also have a set of ‘Smilestone Cards’ which provide a good giggle! They’re only $15.00 and you can get them HERE.
5. Wrap/carrier. These are a total god send in the beginning, especially for subsequent babies if you have a toddler or other kids to run around after. Chekoh wraps are well priced and come in heaps of cute designs. They’re $95 full price on their website HERE (currently on sale though!).
6. This one is for the coffee lover friends. If you’ve been over to their house and you’ve had a delicious coffee out of a normal coffee cup… do you friend a favour and buy her some double walled coffee cups. Again, she will thank you, I promise. Sometimes it takes me 45 minutes to get through my morning coffee between nappy changing, making lunches etc and these babies keep it warm the whole time. No microwaving coffees in this house! I have Delonghi ones from Harvey Norman, they’re $29 for a two pack. Click HERE.
7. Clothes in size 6-12m (or bigger). As a new Mum, it’s hard not to get consumed by all the cutesy teeny weeny baby clothes on the shelves. And we go a taaad overboard on those adorable clothes in the teeny tiny sizes. So if you want to buy a cute outfit for the new babe, go ahead – but get a bigger size so to start off her/his bigger wardrobe that Mum hasn’t started on yet 😉 For a girl – don’t be afraid to get something super over the top and gorgeous with a tutu attached!
8. Breastfeeding Cookies! Katie in the Kitchen cookies are my favourite and have all the goodies to help make that milk full cream and give their baby all the rolls. Not guaranteed, but they taste delicious so they’re not doing any harm by scoffing the bag! You can get them from The Baby Bag HERE – $11.50 a packet.
9. Kiwi Herb products. It can be super duper overwhelming when your baby gets their first wee cold, and it usually hits when you’re least expecting it. So having a few products on hand already would be super helpful! I highly recommend Kiwi Herb range, it can be used from the get go and is all natural. You can buy it directly from Kiwi Herb HERE, we use the chest syrup and the de-stuff at our house.
10. Ultrasonic Vaporiser. This will also come in handy when baby has their first cold. I swear by them. I won’t ramble but you can read up about them and buy them HERE. These are a must have in every house hold with kids, in my opinion. They range from $99-$120.
11. This is a gift idea for the Mum, especially a good idea if the new baby is due in winter. A super snuggly, comfy dressing gown. Perfect for the night feeds, or just all day PJ days if that’s your thing (it’s totally mine). I highly rate Citta dressing gowns, both the husband and I have one, they’re a few years old now but still cozy as anything. And most of all, they can be thrown in the washing machine and dryer if they get spewed/pooped on woohoo! There are loads of stockists for these but I found these cute polka dot ones HERE for $89.90.
12. Cute shoes. Not always something Mum will go out and buy herself as they’re kind of deemed ‘unnecessary’ by some. So it’s something special you could buy, baby’s first shoes! For a boy I love these cute striped Pretty Brave slip ons from HERE ($49.90) and for a girl I’m a sucker for any of the Baby Wilson range which you can buy HERE ($69-$89).
13. Lamington merino socks. What I found really hard to find when Marlo was born, was new born socks that actually stayed on her feet! A friend sent us some of her daughter’s Lamington socks to borrow and they were awesome. Especially for a winter baby, merino keeps their wee toes nice and warm. They’re $15.95 for a pair and you can get them HERE.
14. Cute teething toys. These are pretty much always a hit with the babies when they reach ‘must chew on everything’ status. I’m a particular fan of the ‘oreo cookie teether’ by Haakaa. It’s $19.90 and you can get it HERE. I also love the look of the cute teething toys that Dapper Mr Bear stocks, you can find them HERE and they start at $24.00.
15. Dribble bibs. They come in loads of cute fabrics and will always be use-full, even if their baby isn’t a dribbler. Solids will come round sooner or later and they’ll definitely be used! I love this vintage floral one from HERE for $12.00 for a girl, and this fun emoji one HERE.
16. If you’re going to buy some products like shampoo, bum cream etc… I personally would not buy Johnson & Johnson minis (just a quick google will tell you why). Go for a brand like Tui Balms which you can get HERE or Wedela does a cute starter pack of 3 different products for $19.90 which you can get HERE.
I hope you’ve found this helpful! Happy gift buying!