You saw the new kid on the block, she took over all the Facebook groups… the price, the size, the ease… it took the breastfeeding world by storm and you all loved it. So what if I told you it was even BETTER? BIGGER and BETTER! The brand spanking new and improved Haakaa Silicone Breast Pump has literally JUST hit the virtual shelves, and boy is she a goodie! Retailing for $29.90 – that’s only $2 more than the Original (which is still available also).
I’ve talked about how awesome the original Haakaa Silicone Breast Pump is HERE, where you can read about my first impressions all those months ago, exactly how it works and what not (I’ll add instructions below too). Given my supply has settled since then, I don’t express a whole lot. But there’s no way I was getting rid of that little beauty, I’m off on a girls weekend end of this month and my boobs will be in shock, so I will 100% be packing her or her new sister in my bag!
Let me tell you the cool new features of the new sister…
1. It’s BIGGER! The New Haakaa Silicone Breast Pump holds at least 150mls, probably more like 180-200mls – 150mls is just where the measurements on the side stop. Cool hey? Obviously that means the whole product is larger too, so less compact than the original.
2. New designs. Haakaa’s logo is on the side so you know you’re getting the real deal, and it’s got washing instructions/icons so when you can’t remember because of foggy baby brain – you can see very clearly that you can safely chuck em in your dishwasher. Woohoo!
3. It suctions to a surface! Multiple times I had expressed around 100mls, put the pump down, put Marlo into bed and knocked the thing over. Crying over spilt milk, yes – it’s okay when it’s breast milk… I swear. Anyway, now this isn’t going to be a problem because it has a suction cup on the bottom so you can stick it down on a flat surface while you fluff around with the baby. BEST feature in my opinion! The above photo is showing the breast pump FULL with milk, suctioned onto the tiles above my oven… Yes! A 90 degree angle full of milk! Which brings me to the last newbie…
4. The stoppers. Haakaa now also sells these cute little silicone stoppers that you can pop in the top of it. Again – to help with the spillage situation. The flower (pictured in mine) is $11.50 and they’ll have a little strawberry soon too.
I had no idea what item would be arriving for me to review from Haakaa, so I was super excited when I opened the box and saw the new and improved breast pump. The original will still be my take out pump if I ever need to, as it’s more compact… but the larger one will definitely be my new fave at home – that suction has me sold!
If you wanted to know how they work, but can’t be bothered reading my old blog about it (fair enough haha), here are instructions off Haakaa’s website:
1. Sterilise your pump (caps are available online to purchase – caps keep the pump sterile after cleaning)
2. Place top of pump over your nipple – make sure your nipple is in the neck of the pump and comfortable.
3. Apply suction – you may need to adjust a couple of times. Once the pump is secure and comfortable you can squeeze the base of the pump (not interfering with the top/suction) to create some movement.
4. A warm flannel on top of your breast is also a great tip and gently massage the top of your breast.
5. Once milk begins to flow simply leave the pump alone to do its thing.
6. Once the pump becomes full empty into a glass storage bottle and reposition.
Also attach in the same way while your child is feeding on your other breast and collect all let down and milk which would other wise be lost into a breast pad.
Waking up in the middle of the night or if engorged during the day also attach your pump for relief.
The new breast pump is available for pre-order HERE.
Any questions, fire away and I’ll try to answer them. I bet you’ll love the new pump design as much as I do!